Thursday, January 23, 2014

January What's Hot: Hellebores

This is the first of a regular monthly feature in which I highlight what plants I'm enjoying most.  This will help folks understand about the seasonality of landscape plants and hopefully others can realize that landscapes can be beautiful year round.
Helleborus niger 'Josef Lemper'

This is one of my winter favorites.  Commonly called the Christmas rose or hellebores, this durable perennial shines this time of year with tropical-like foliage and nodding blooms in shades of white, green, and muted purples and pinks.  I also adore the plant because it does quite well in my dappled and full shade backyard.  (It’s one of the four “H’s” I’m cooing over recently: hellebores, hostas, heucheras, and hydrangeas, though I have a love/hate relationship with the latter.)

A hellebore cultivar that I'm growing in my garden and has surprised me with its beauty is 'Shooting Star,' pictured below.  The dusty pink blooms are borne on an upright spike, rather like a raceme.  My ‘Shooting Star’ is tucked into my perennial garden, which is rather bare this time of year.  I was startled when I looked out the window and saw this stunner.
Helleborus GC 'Shooting Star'

Both hellebores pictured are immature examples, photographed yesterday at Al’s Garden Center in Sherwood.  But you can still see how exotic the foliage is and how lovely the flowers are.  They really bring a bit of sunshine to a garden during the dark season.



No comments:

Post a Comment